The CMES MA program requires 24 service hours (4 hours/quarter) over the course of the degree. Service hours include all activities supporting the CMES community and academic field outside of ordinary degree requirements. Examples of service hours include but are not limited to:
- Attending Middle East Studies Students Association (MESSA) meetings and events
- Writing news articles and event reviews for the CMES website
- Volunteering at annual MEHAT Conference
- Participating in outreach programs to K-12 schools and community colleges
- Presenting research at academic conferences
- Assisting at CMES events
If you have any question about qualifying activities for the service hour requirement, please contact CMES staff.
Please use the CMES Service Hours Form to record your hours. You should submit a form at the end of each quarter to Thomas Maguire, CMES Associate Director. If you fail to complete four hours in a single quarter, you can make up the difference in later quarters. However, you should complete 12 full hours over the course of a single academic year.