Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships 2018-19
Deadline: Monday, February 12, 2018 at 5pm CT
Upcoming Information Sessions:
· Friday, January 5 from 4-5pm, in UChicagoGRAD HQ
· Tuesday, January 9 from 12:30pm-1:30pm, in UChicagoGRAD HQ
· Register for the sessions via GRAD Gargoyle (click on Events>Workshops)
FLAS Fellowships are awards for graduate students concentrating on modern foreign language and international or area studies. In the 2018-19 competition cycle, UChicago will accept applications for languages in five world areas: East Asia, East Europe, Latin America, Middle East, and South Asia. The FLAS Fellowships provide funding for language and area studies coursework on campus during the academic year, and on campus or elsewhere (domestically or abroad) during the summer. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Academic Year award benefits for students in the Social Sciences, Humanities, and Divinity
While holding an academic year FLAS Fellowship, doctoral students who have a divisional fellowship stipend greater than $15,000 will receive the divisional stipend plus the Student Life Fee, insurance, and an additional $3,000 stipend supplement during the FLAS year. Master’s students receive a $15,000 stipend, full tuition, and other benefits depending on division. Doctoral students in other academic divisions and professional schools should consult with their Dean of Students offices regarding FLAS award packages.
Summer award benefits for all students
$2,500 stipend and up to $5,000 in tuition for the applicant's language program of choice.
More information and next steps
· Applications details: Information on language offerings, eligibility requirements, and more are available on the FLAS website.
· FLAS Manual: The FLAS Manual is a comprehensive resource that addresses the frequently asked FLAS questions.
· Questions that aren't covered in the FLAS Manual? Start by contacting the appropriate Area Center contact (listed at the bottom of this page). Karen Rosenthall, Interim FLAS Coordinator, is also available to answer questions.
· Information sessions: Attend one of the January information sessions; details above.